We’re always looking for new places to publish short stories, right? (If you aren’t, you should be!)
Here’s one that’s pretty awesome. The Dragon’s Rocketship, a Facebook group dedicated to all things fantasy and sci-fi—where lots of writers hang out—is putting out an anthology in 2015.
You could have your story published by The Dragon’s Rocketship Press!
Here are all the little deets you’ll need:
This anthology’s theme is “Hex Support.” It’s a wonderful blend of fantasy and sci-fi—the two genres we love most. I know it’s not obvious what in the world “Hex Support” means, so here’s a bit of an explanation:
Imagine a world like ours in which a breakthrough in theoretical mathematics allowed for real magic to become a new branch of technology. There would, of course, be the serious wizards who would wield great power and forge legendary items of great power and so on and so forth, but there would also be home hobbyists who buy “Necromancy For Dummies” and decide try a spell to enchant their lawnmower to mow the lawn all by itself. Hence the need for “Hex Support.”
Think tech support… but for magic.
The 15 top stories will be selected for inclusion in the anthology. The judges will base their decisions on areas such as: grammar, plot, world building, character development, whether the topic was followed or not, and whether the story fits the word count guidelines or not (see below).
Top 15 stories will receive:
- Inclusion in the anthology (obviously, but that = bragging rights!)
- Contributor copies (1 print, 1 ebook)
- Cash award of $5 paid to your PayPal account
For those stories that don’t make the cut, you’ll receive a detailed critique and the chance to purchase the anthology at a discounted rate.
Please follow the guidelines for submitting and formatting. Entries that do not follow the guidelines will be disqualified.
Submit by: April 30, 2015
Winners announced: May 31, 2015
Publication Date: November 1, 2015
- There is a non-refundable $15 entry fee for each story submitted.
- Stories can be sent from anywhere in the world, but must be written in English.
- Story must prominently feature the anthology theme: Hex Support.
- Story must be sci-fi or fantasy.
- Word count: 5000 to 7500
- Original, unpublished stories only.
- Multiple submissions are allowed, but the $15 entry fee must be paid per entry.
- By submitting your story to the Dragon’s Rocketship (TDR), you are granting us First North American Serial Rights to your story. This means your story should not have appeared anywhere else, either in print or online. (This includes publication on your website.)
- Times New Roman, 12 pt font
- Double-spaced with a 1″ margin
- Author name, story title, and page numbers in header or footer
- Section breaks indicated with * * *
- 15 points: Plot – The story line flows well, and the plot has a great hook, solid middle, and an awesome end.
- 15 points: Setting – The setting is well-developed and supportive of the plot.
- 15 points: Characterization – Characters are well-developed and believable, and character motivation is clear and is well-integrated into the plot.
- 15 points: Conflict – There’s a clear story problem, and the story problem is satisfactorily resolved by the end of the story.
- 15 points: Mechanics – The story is edited and free of major spelling and grammar errors, and the details of the story are consistent and free from errors.
- 20 points: Wow Factor – The story is compelling and memorable.
- 5 points: Theme – The story adheres to the anthology theme: Hex Support
Total: 100 points possible
The 15 highest scoring stories will be selected for inclusion in the anthology.